Egham Choral was founded in 1953 by Dr Kenneth Pankhurst, who was at the time the Organist at Egham Parish Church, and first met on November the 5th. We understand that the first performance was on the 8th of December in the Old Egham Methodist Church.
We are a long standing choir based in Egham since the 1970s. We perform at least three concerts a year. The spring concert is usually the highlight of our year and the music ranges from Haydn’s Creation to Carl Jenkins’ The Armed Man and the performance is usually distinguished by the addition of professional soloists and musicians. Our summer concert comprises lighter works that may include madrigals or jazz standards. For our Christmas programme we look forward to singing carols and other seasonal music which may include excerpts from works such as Bach’s Christmas Oratorio or Rutter’s Gloria. We try to include a concert for Remembrance when this is possible.
The choir’s physical archives are now curated by and held at the Egham Museum.
The stated object of the choir since its inception in 1953 is to rehearse and perform choral music aiming to give 2 or 3 concerts a year, at least one being with a full symphony orchestra.